Today is … National Vinyl Record Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Sophomore Riley Mattingly, freshman Carly Wyatt and junior Casey Wertz all scored while the defense allowed just three shots as the Alabama women’s soccer team defeated UCF 3-0 in an exhibition at the Alabama Soccer Stadium. “I am super pleased,” Coach Wes Hart said in a release.
• Skylar Wallace went 3-for-4 with two RBIs as the U-19 Women’s National Team (WNT) opened the U-19 Women Softball World Cup in Irvine, Calif., with a four-inning 15-0 victory over Mexico on Saturday night. Team USA subsequently won by the same score against Botswana in just three innings Sunday. Montana Fouts struck our eight while notching the win.
• Bobby Shelton finished tied for 11th at the Portland Open, but more importantly he officially earned his PGA Tour card by finishing second on the Korn Ferry Tour points list.
• Gabriela Ruffels, who edged Kenzie Wright in the quarterfinals, won the U.S. Women’s Amateur. She’s the first Australian to win the event.
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 12, 1994: Ryan Anderson was born in Daphne, Ala.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“When folks are ignorant, you don’t condemn them. You teach them.” — Paul W. “Bear” Bryant