Today is … National Aviation Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Not only did Justin Thomas win the BMW Championship, but will start the Tour Championship on Thursday with a two-stroke lead per the new format for the FedEx Cup. He also took over the top spot in the FedEx Cup standings by winning the second of the three tournaments in the PGA Tour’s playoffs.
• Stephanie Meadow held on to win the World Invitational on the Challenge Tour by one stroke. The hometown favorite at Galgorm Castle in Ireland edged Charley Hull as the men’s and women’s tournaments were both held on the same course and playing for equal prize funds. It was Meadow’s third win as a pro.
• The Crimson Tide men’s basketball team began its retreat at Pursell Farms in Sylacauga, with players, coaches and staff workers going through drills led by a former Navy SEAL.
• Irv Smith Jr. had his first preseason touchdown catch with the Minnesota Vikings:
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 19, 1986: Coach Ray Perkins announced that star linebacker Cornelius Bennett, hampered by a pulled hamstring, was doubtful for the season opener in the Kickoff Classic against Ohio State. Likely taking his place would be sophomore Derrick Thomas. – Bryant Museum
… also, Steve Sloan was born on this date in 1944 in Austin, Tenn., and Brandon Deaderick in 1987 in Elizabethtown, Ky.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“The first thing that I do is get a kicker and a punter. If the kicking game wasn’t important they would have called it armball.” – Paul W. “Bear” Bryant