Today is … National Senior Citizens Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Per the UFC Unfiltered podcast, Eryk Anders will make his return to 185 pounds after his last two fights were in the light heavyweight division. He’ll fight Gerald Meerschaert in Tampa, Fla. on Oct. 12.
• The men’s basketball team’s retreat/boot camp wrapped up Tuesday. Everyone on the team can now do their “What I did on summer vacation,” reports for school.
• Crimson Tide baseball player Justin King led the Willmar Stingers in the Northwoods summer league in RBIs with 35, and tied for the team lead in home runs with seven. King also ranked second in doubles (11) and third in hits (52) to go with 29 walks and three stolen bases in 57 games played.
• Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Amari Cooper is dealing with another foot inury:
• Four members of the Alabama soccer team were named to the 2019 SEC Preseason Watch List, as announced by the league office (however it did not clarify what they should be watched for, All-SEC? SEC Player of the Year?): Senior Nealy Martin, along with juniors Chloe Maize, Taylor Morgan and Casey Wertz were among 59 players by the league coaches.
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 21, 1961: Jack Hurlbut, who was expected to compete with Pat Trammell for the starting quarterback job, suffered a broken left arm and wrist after falling from a tractor on his father's ranch near Houston. Early indications were that Hurlbut, a transfer from Rice, would miss the entire '61 season. – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“Keep your head up; act like a champion.” – Paul W. “Bear” Bryant.