Today is …
Purple Heart Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Alabama volleyball gained a late addition to its 2019 roster with graduate transfer Brooke Kuhlman, an All-American beach volleyball player at Florida State. She led semifinals to the national championship tournament all four years, including runner-up finishes in 2016 and 2018, as well as four Coastal Collegiate Sports Association league titles. Kuhlman earned AVCA All-America honors as a sophomore in 2017, posting a 7-2 postseason record with partner Leigh Andrew.
• For the second straight night, the Alabama women's basketball team reached triple digits, this time posting a 104-74 win over the University of British Columbia in the second game of its Canadian tour. Newcomer Brittany Davis finished with 25 points on 10-of-12 shooting.
• SI’s preseason Top 25 has Alabama at No. 1. For its top 100 players, it lists 10: QB Tua Tagovailoa (No. 2), WR Jerry Jeudy (No. 4), DL Raekwon Davis (No. 10), LB Dylan Moses (No. 16), CB Trevon Diggs (No. 24), OL Alex Leatherwood (No. 32), WR Jaylen Waddle (No. 39), Edge Anfernee Jennings (No. 61), RB Najee Harris (No. 71), S Xavier McKinney (No. 86)
• Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was named to the 2019 Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Award watch list. He won the award last season.
• Former Alabama basketball player Levi Randolph has signed to join the Cleveland Cavaliers for training camp for the second straight year. He played with the Canton Charge of the G League and also in France last season.
• HBO’s “Hard Knocks” made its season debut Tuesday night. Although the show is following the Oakland Raiders during training camp, running back Josh Jacobs wasn’t mentioned. Free agent signee Lester Cotton Sr. did, though.
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 7, 1963: Coach Paul W. “Bear” Bryant testified on behalf of Georgia coach Wally Butts in his lawsuit trial against Curtis Publishing Company, owners of the Saturday Evening Post. Bryant adamantly denies any collusion between him and Butts.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“My obligation to our team is to play the best players, so I don’t care what grade they’re in, where you’re from or what the mailing address is, that’s kind of what we do. If they’re better than someone else we’re going to give them every opportunity to play.” – Nick Saban