Today is …
National Hammock Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Alex Avila of the Arizona Diamondbacks hit career home run No. 100.
• NFLDraftScout.com has posted its early rankings by position on seniors for 2020 draft and has Raekwon Davis listed as the top defensive end. Shyheim Carter is also listed as the top strong safety. Trevon Diggs is the No. 2 cornerback, Anfernee Jennings is the No. 4 outside linebacker and Matt Womack is the No. 12 offensive tackle. Most of the Crimson Tide’s top prospects for the draft are juniors.
• Atlanta Falcons wideout Julio Jones said he would report to training camp even without a long-term contract extension, and he did exact that on Sunday.
• Justin Thomas shot 72 during the final round of the British Open to finish at -3 and tied for 11th.
• Another Indiana swimmer is transferring to Alabama, sophomore Morgan Scott.
• Per numerous reports, Chicago Bears safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will likely start training camp on the active/physically unable to perform list after he sprained his knee during the team's offseason training program. Also ...
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
July 22, 1922: Alabama’s All-American in 1915, Billy VandeGraaf, was hired as an assistant football coach by Xen Scott. He also served as an ROTC instructor. — Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“It doesn't stand anywhere. It stands like it stands. We have two guys that are competing for the quarterback position. We're going to continue to manage those guys through fall camp. Neither guy has a tremendous amount of experience. We have a lot of faith, trust and confidence in both of their abilities. It will be interesting to see who plays better in the game, because we feel like both guys have done a really good job and both guys are talented enough to be very, very successful quarterbacks for our team.” — Nick Saban on the quarterback competition between AJ McCarron and Phillip Sims on this day in 2011.