Today is …
Gorgeous Grandma Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Running back Derrick Henry cracked the NFL Network’s annual top 100 players list for the first time, at No. 99. The first 10 players were released Monday, No 91-100.
• Nick Saban will be at ESPN headquarters on Thursday for the coaches’ annual “Car Wash” interviews.
• Justin Thomas posted this about the British Open:
• Alabama women's golfer Kenzie Wright qualified for the 2019 U.S. Women's Amateur, which will be held Aug. 5-11 at Old Waverly Golf Club in West Point, Miss. The senior carded a 1-under par 71 to earn one of the seven automatic spots out of the Southlake, Texas, qualifier, which was held earlier this month, at Timarron Country Club.
• Seahawks defensive lineman Jarran Reed has been suspended for the first six games of the 2019 season and doesn’t agree with it. The Seattle Times reported that Reed was investigated in connection with an assault complaint filed by a woman in April 2017. The case was referred to prosecutors, who declined to file charges:
• But then there’s this …
• Both the Alabama men and women earned All-Academic team honors during the 2019 season from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. The women’s team had a 3.45 cumulative team GPA, with the men at 3.27.
• Here’s your update on the contract talks regarding a pair of former Alabama wide receivers:
• ESPN.com updated its recruiting rankings with Alabama having the most ESPN 300 commitments with 19. Crimson Tide commitment linebacker Quandarrius Robinson had the second-biggest rise, up from 106 to No. 80 overall,
• We're assuming there’s going to be a lot more to the renovations than this:
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
July 23, 1969: Don Hutson, Alabama's famed end of the 1930s, was named to the all-time college football team, as the sport began the celebration of its 100th year. Hutson was one of 11 players selected. – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“When Coach Saban talks about recruits, what they expect when the visit Alabama, they expect us to be the best,” – Director of Athletics Greg Byrne during the dedication of the dining hall and nutrition center, and recruiting room as part of the Mal Moore Athletic Facilities, on this date in 2018.