Today is …
National Mutt Day.
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com released his preseason Top 32 Big Board, which had quarterback Tua Tagovailoa sixth overall and second among Crimson Tide players. Wide receiver Jerry Jeudy was third. Cornerback Trevor Diggs was No. 16 and massive defensive lineman Raekwon Davis 19th as Alabama had the most players on the list.
• Julio Jones announced that he will not play in any of the Atlanta Falcons’ exhibition games. When asked about it, Jones said: “I don’t need preseason to get ready. … As long as I get my reps in practice — I practice the way I play.”
• Alabama sophomore Shallon Olsen won a second Pan American Games medal this week in Lima, Peru, taking bronze on the vault after helping propel Canada to a silver medal in the team final on Saturday. The product of Vancouver, British Columbia, averaged a 14.183 to take third place on the vault after scoring 14.400 on her first attempt and a 13.966 on her second. Unlike collegiate competition, which has a maximum score of 10.0, international competition combines a difficulty and execution score for the final mark.
• Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was activated from the physically unable to perform list and made his training camp debut with the Chicago Bears.
• Detroit Lions defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson returned to practice after missing a week of training camp for a “personal matter.” Meanwhile, defensive lineman Da’Shawn Hand is considered day-to-day and had a brace on his left arm after leaving Sunday’s practice.
• According to reports out of Nashville, Derrick Henry could miss two weeks with a calf strain.
• Per Golfweek, former Alabama golfer Justin Thomas along with Jon Rahm, Patrick Reed and Max Homa pledged to donate money for every birdie and eagle they made during the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational last weekend. They combined to raise $49,400 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
• Men’s tennis announced its 2019-20 schedule, including 10 fall tournaments and 24 dual matches in the spring.
• Sad news from the Crimson Tide golf community:
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
July 31, 1972: Antonio Langham was born in Town Creek, Alabama.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“Folks, this is the greatest individual defensive effort I have ever witnessed,” CBS announcer Brent Musburger talking about Derek Thomas during the 1988 Alabama-Penn State game.