Today is …
National Bourbon Day. It’s also National Flip Flop Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Former Crimson Tide great Cornelius Bennett posted that he recently had surgery.
• Another addition for Alabama baseball:
• When introducing a panel on college athletics and gambling at the Learfield IMG College Directors' Cup Luncheon in Orlando, new National Association of Collegiate Director of Athletics president Greg Byrne said: "One of the most incredible things about intercollegiate athletics is that it brings people together. You check religion, you check politics, you check socio-economic status, you check so many things at the door. … To all the non-ADs in the room, be here, be engaged so you can learn and grow. To all the ADs in the room, we need to go back to our conferences and tell our peers that we have to be here. For everything we’ve been blessed with we have a responsibility — and with the leadership positions that we’re in — we need to help mentor, we need to help grow, we need to help learn and continue to have a positive impact on college athletics."
• As a footnote to the previous item, one of the statistics disclosed by the panel was that of the $150 billion bet on college sports only $5 billion is done so legally.
• The Sports Buisness Journal reported that Learfield IMG College is close to inking Aflac to a national sponsorship deal that would include its famous duck on the top of medical tents on SEC sidelines. The arrangement will necessitate a deal with each school in the low six-figure range. The medical tents were originally devised by Crimson Tide head trainer Jeff Allen and a group of Alabama student engineers.
• AL.com reported that Alabama pitcher Will Freeman (2-2, 5.40 ERA) entered the NCAA transfer portal
• Ross Dellenger of SI.com has an interesting read on the “The Unique Bond Between Marty McNair and Mike Locksley.”
• Alex Avila left the Diamondbacks game with a pulled left calf strain Thursday night, but also made some Crimson Tide baseball history
• Justin Thomas shot the first round of the U.S. Open at +2, and was tied for 77th at Pebble Beach.
• We’ll leave you with this photo:
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
June 14, 1958: Paul W. “Bear” Bryant joined Michigan State's Duffy Daugherty, Minnesota's Murray Warmath and the Los Angeles Rams' Sid Gillman at the annual Florida State coaching clinic in Tallahassee. Wrote one local reporter: "If Paul Bryant were a preacher, you'd never heard of Billy Graham. Such is the power of Bryant's magnetic and well-exploited personality." — Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
You take those little rascals, talk to them good, pat them on the back, let them think they are good, and they will go out and beat the biguns." — Paul W. “Bear” Bryant