Today is … National Grandparent’s Day
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
• Men’s golf at Carpet Capital Collegiate, Dalton, Ga., all day
• Soccer: Alabama at Chattanooga, noon CT
Crimson Tide results
• Volleyball: Alabama def. North Carolina State 24-26 25-21, 25-21, 25-15
• Football: Alabama 62, New Mexico State 10
Did you notice?
• A quick shout out to the 1989 Crimson Tide celebrating its 30-year reunion this weekend:
• After dropping the first set, Alabama rallied to win the next three over North Carolina State including a convincing 10-point decision in the fourth to cap the 3-1 victory. Senior Hayley McSparin led Alabama (5-1) with 10 kills, with just one error on 18 swings. Sophomore Mylana Byrd played all six rotations, finishing with 38 assists along with a team-leading five blocks. Junior Kaylee Thomas was one of two players with double-digit digs, earning 20 while senior Ginger Perinar tallied 11.
• The Alabama women’s cross-country team finished second at the Montevallo Falcon Classic. Senior Alexa Cruz recorded a 5K time of 18:32.43 to place fifth overall.
• Former Alabama defensive back Kyriq McDonald collapsed and went into convulsions on field while playing for Cincinnati against Ohio State.
• The No. 21-ranked men’s golf team carded a 1-over par 289 during the second round of the Carpet Capital Collegiate, the second-lowest round to move into third place. Junior Wilson Furr carded a 1-under par 71 and is in a tie for fourth overall with a 143 (72-71), while sophomore Frankie Capan III had a 3-under par 69 and is tied for 11 overall with a 36-hole total of 145.
• Former Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones finalized three-year extension worth roughly $66 million, of which $64 was guaranteed, making him the NFL’s highest-paid wide receiver.
•Third-year wide receiver Gehrig Dieter was waived by from injured reserve with an injury settlement by the Kansas City Chiefs. Dieter has been dealing with a back injury that he suffered shortly after the start of training camp.
• Olympic gold medalist (London 2012) Kirani James, who has been dealing with numerous injuries, ran 44.47 for 400m in Spain. It’s one of the fastest times for 2019 even though it was his first race of the year.
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
September 8, 1979: Alabama began its defense of the national championship with a 30-6 trouncing of Pepper Rodgers' Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Grant Field in Atlanta. Defensive end E.J. Junior sparked the win with an interception for a touchdown while quarterback Steadman Shealy was nearly flawless in moving the wishbone attack. – Byrant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“What matters … is not the size of the dog in the fight, but of the fight in the dog.”– Paul W. “Bear” Bryant