TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The University of Alabama football team held its first official workout of the 2019 season as the Crimson Tide opened fall camp on Friday afternoon.
Although it wasn't that hot out, it was steamy with pockets of rain and thunderstorms in the area. The humidity was 81 percent, and the dew point 68.
The players will go through an acclimation period before putting the pads on, but here’s some of what was witnessed:
• Those wondering about Tua Tagovailoa after he skipped the Manning Passing Academy with a sore hamstring, the junior quarterback was in his usual spot running passing drills. He didn’t appear to be limited.
• Wide receiver DeVonta Smith and linebacker Terrell Lewis, who is coming off a knee injury, appeared to be a bit limited. They were running drills, but not all of them.
• Defensive end LaBryan Ray (ankle) and tight end Miller Forristall (foot) were not on the field during the observation period. AL.com reported that both had offseason surgery but are expected to be ready for the season opener against Duke in Atlanta on Aug. 31. Nick Saban won't address reporters until Saturday.
• Take it for what it’s worth, redshirt freshman Justin Eboigbe lined up next to Raekwon Davis and DJ Dale the first time the defensive lineman hit the sleds.
• Tight end Cameron Latu switched his jersey number to 81.
• A new addition to the roster is redshirt junior wide receiver Drew Kobayashi, a former high school teammate of Tagovailoa who has walked on to the team after previously playing at Cal. He wore No. 85.
• Freshman quarterback Tauila Tagovailoa appeared to be going through drills as the third-string quarterback.
• The Chadarius Townsend watch continues. He practiced with the wide receivers.
• Redshirt sophomore Major Tennison led the tight ends through drills.
• Landon Dickerson, a graduate transfer from Florida State, has joined the team and participated in his first practice. The redshirt junior is listed as 6-6, 308 pounds and wore No. 69.
• The first-team offensive line appeared to be the same as the spring, going from left to right: Alex Leatherwood, Emil Ekiyor Jr., Chris Owens, Matt Womack and Jedrick Wills Jr.
• True freshman Ishmael Sopsher appeared to be having some trouble with the heat. Coaches were being cautious with him.
Alabama will hold Fan Day, and the only open practice of the season, at Bryant-Denny Stadium at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.