TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The topic of the day is the heat. It's freaking hot at Bryant-Denny Stadium, where Alabama is hosting New Mexico State for its home opener.
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory. As of 1 p.m., two hours prior to kickoff the temperature was 94 degrees, but still on the rise. The heat index is expected to reach 105.
Here's the latest from Bryant-Denny Stadium:
• Alabama with 595 total yards after three quarters. The last time the Crimson Tide topped 600 was the Arkansas game last season.
• Today's backup punt returner is Slade Bolden, who did not field a punt that rolled to the 9.
• Second OL L to R is Lashley, P. Quick, Dalcourt, Randolph and T. Brown.
• TE is C. Latu. H is Giles Amos.
• DeLong punts for 43 yards.
• Jalyn Armour-Davis, Tevita Musika, Ale Kaho among fresh defenders in.
• 35-yard FG draws the Aggies to within 62-10.
• Backups in on kick return. Deep are K. Robinson, Jerome Ford.
• Amos aka "Trailer Park Jesus" with his first career catch, a 5-yarder.
• Reichard now punting. 39 yards.
• New Mexico State was knocking on the door for another touchdown when time ran out.
• Another Reichard touchback starts the second half. He's now 6/7 today on that.
• N. Harris scores from the 8. set up by Robinson 16-yard run. Drive was 9 plays, 55 yards, 4:23. Tide up 45-0 with 8:20 to go in the third quarter.
• LB Markail Bention is in for Bama along with DE Byron Young and OLB Christopher Allen.
• Trevon Diggs is down w/ an injury after a TD-saving tackle. A missed tackle by Shyheim Carter led to that 44-yard pass to the 5. Aggies threatening. Diggs is up and off the field.
• Despite putting the starters back in to try and preserve the shutout, NMSU scores on a 4-yard swing pass. 5:59 3 qtr, Ala leads 45-7. Vegas shudders.
• Diggs is in the injury tent. He was helped off the field and could not put weight on the injured leg.
• Mac Jones in at QB with just under 6 minutes to go in the third. He hit Waddle for a 23-yard pass play.
• Darrian Dalcourt at C w/ the first OL on this drive.
• Jones hits Jeudy for a 19-yard TD with 3:19 left. Reichard PAT makes it 52-7. Drive was 70 yards, 7 plays 2:46. Diggs is still in the tent. Which could be good.
• DB DeMarco Hellams and DL Stephon Wynn in on defense.Tide forces/recovers fumble. Recovered by Josh Jobe recovered the forced fumble by Surtain.
• Will Reichard drills a 49-yard FG. Bama up 55-7 w/ 1:40 left 3rd qtr.
• Christian Barmore in on the DL for Bama. Diggs out of the tent. Chris Allen w/ a sack.
• Freshman Keilan Robinson running behind the second OL went 74 yards for a TD on his first carry of the day. With 13 secs left in the 3rd Bama leads 62-7.
• Freshman King Mwkuta in at LB. End 3, Bama up 62-7.
• Jennings gets a sack to start the quarter. Minus seven.
• Aggies now rugby-style punting to keep the ball away from Waddle.
• Tua hits Ruggs for 39 yards to open current drive. Robinson plows for eight to the 25.
• Ruggs catches a 10-yard TD from Tua and Reichard boots it to 28-0 with 10:08 left in the half. Seven play, 72-yard march.
• Not sure what they call the formation, but Bama is playing a LOT of 7-DB sets with Diggs, Sartain, McKinney, Mayden. S Carter, J. Jobe and Battle.
• Patrick Surtain Jr. with the pick at the Bama 16. Aggies were driving. McKinney could have blasted the QB but helf up (as observed by C. Walsh).
• B-Rob and Najee in together w/ all 4 of the top WR's. Result: a Waddle catch/run of 29.
• Tua scrambles for a 25-yard TD rush. With 3:49 left in the half, Bama leads 35-0. Reichard has not missed a PAT in six quarters. 7 plays, 84 yards, 2:47 time of poss.
• Reichard's touchback streak ends at 11. Out of bounds kick gives Aggies ball at 35.
• Sack by LaBryan Ray ends NMSU drive.
• Bama put 2 men deep to field rugby punt. Diggs and Waddle back. Waddle reverses field and returns 23-yards. Ran about 80 to get it.
• Reichard drills a 48-yard field goal with room to spare. With 1:04 to go in the half, Alabama leads NMSU 38-9. Tyrell Shavers and John Metchie saw time at WR on final drive of the half.
• Jarez Parks and DeMarco Hellams saw time on last kick-off, a touchback.
• Halftime: Alabama 38, New Mexico State 0.
• NMSU won the toss and deferred. Alabama to receive.
• Kick returners are junior Henry Ruggs III and junior Brian Robinson. Forristall calls a fair catch and Bama starts at it's 23.
• Tide scores on opening play. 77 yard swing pass Tua to Ruggs, who did the rest of the work. Reichard PAT good. 7-0 Bama. Drive took 13 secs, 1 play.
• True freshman Jordan Battle started as the dime back. First career start.
• A block in the back against Alabama cost sophomore Jaylen Waddle a long punt return TD.
• Prior to the punt, on NMSU's third down incomplete pass, senior Anfernee Jennings registered Bama's first quarterback pressure of the season.
• Ruggs' TD has been ruled a 75-yard rush and was ruled a lateral.
• DL Cedric Wilcotts II was called for targeting on a hit on Tua but the call was reversed on review.
• Tua hit sophomore Jerry Jeudy for 21 yards and a TD. Reichard's PAT makes it 14-0 Tide with 9:08 left 1Qtr. Drive was 10 plays, 89 yds in 4:18.
• Daniel Wright and Jordan Battle in at safety for Bama in dime. When the Aggies got a first down, Wright was pulled for starter senior Jared Mayden.
• RS sophomore Major Tennison is playing at the Y TE. The H is Forristall when they are both in.
• As Saban hinted DeLong is handling punting today. His first effort went for 38 yards.
• With Bama playing mostly dime, the lone LB in the game is freshman Shane Lee.
• Bama offense stalls again. DeLong's second boot goes 42 yards. Bama was penalized for too many men on the field on the punt.
• Lee recovered an Aggie fumble to set the Tide up at midfield. McKinney caused the fumble.
• On the final play of the quarter, Tua hit Jeudy for 23 yards and a TD. Reichard PAT makes it 21-0 after one period.
• Both teams have arrived. New Mexico State players are wearing black t-shirts as they go through their pregame rituals on the field.
• We are hearing there could be a personnel change on the offensive line for Alabama. Will confirm when the team comes out for warm-ups.
• We have a Facebook Live feed going for those who want to see warm-ups at Bryant-Denny Stadium: https://www.facebook.com/pg/WritingWalsh/videos/?ref=page_internal
• Freshman kicker Will Reichard nailed a 51-yard field goal in warm-ups with 10 yards to to spare. He then tried four 56-yarders hitting only the final one.
• True freshman longsnapper Gabe Pugh from Tuscaloosa-Northridge is the backup to Thomas Fletcher.
•Grad transfer Landon Dickerson is snapping to starting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. This is the change we referenced earlier. It does not appear Chris Owens will start.
• Sophomore Skyler DeLong and Reichard are both working on punts but DeLong may get the nod today as Nick Saban hinted. DeLong is taking snaps from starter Fletcher.
• Game captains are senior Anfernee Jennings, RS junior Miller Forristall and junior Xavier McKinney.
• It looks like senior Matt Womack will start at right guard. Other three starters are the same.
•RS Freshman Emil Ekyor Jr. is not in uniform. Freshman Antonio Alfano has not been spotted.