A Golden Opportunity: Trevor Story Joins Nolan Arenado Among Gold Glove Nominees

Sponsored by Sam's No. 3 -- No. 1 in Denver Dining Delights

What underscores the elite nature of Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado is that he is a couple weeks shy of seven seasons in the big leagues, but he is in line to earn his seventh Gold Glove for defensive excellence.

As it is, Arenado is already tied for fourth in terms of Gold Gloves won -- trailing Brooks Robinson (16), Mike Schmidt (10) and Scott Rolen (8) -- and he is the only player, at any position, to have won a Gold Glove in each of his first six big-league seasons.

Arenado combines with shortstop Trevor Story to give the Rockies an impressive left side of the infield, which is underscored by the fact that not only is Arenado one of the three nominees for a Gold Glove at third base, but Story is one of three candidates at shortstop, Major League Baseball announced Thursday.

Arenado has won the Platinum Glove Award, which goes to the best in Major League Bseball. He also ranks No. 1 in Rockies history for Gold Gloves with one more than outfielder Larry Walker.

Gold Glove winners will be announced Nov. 3. Anthony Rendon of Washington and Josh Donaldson of Atlanta are candidates, along with Arenado, at third base. Story is competing with Paul DeJong of St. Louis and Nick Ahmed of Arizona for the shortstop award.

Story, 26, is a finalist for the first time. He had a .987 fielding percentage in 2019, committing only six errors in 606 changes, second to DeJong. He, however, did lead the NL with a range factor of 2.4, and a 2.4 defensive Wins Above Replacement.

Arenado led NL third baseman with a .980 fielding percentage and 3.06 zone rating, while continually show up on national highlight shows for his defensive efforts.

Major League manages and coach determine 75 percent of the vote on Gold Gloves in the league in which their team plays, although they cannot vote for players on thier own teams. The remaining 25 percent is determined by the Society of American Baseball Research's Defensive Indez, which measures the runs saved by a player's defense.

There are three candidates for each position in each league.

Comments