Four Jaguars Players Detained in London Over Bar Tab Dispute

Players held by London police for 9 hours Friday night; Released when exorbitant bar bill is paid

The weekend didn’t start well for the Jaguars in their annual trek to London where they met the Philadelphia Eagles in Wembley Stadium on Sunday afternoon. After flying across the Atlantic Ocean Thursday night, the Jaguars went through a light workout on Friday. The players then had a night off that evening, and a number of them found their way to a London nightclub. But an evening of fun, frolic and drinking didn’t end well for four players.

The four players – starting strong safety Barry Church along with three reserves in the Jaguars secondary. Ronnie Harrison, Jarrod Wilson and D.J. Hayden, were detained by police following an incident stemming from an unpaid bill at a London nightclub. The Sun, a UK media outlet, reported the four detained players were accused of attempting to leave the establishment without paying a tab that had reportedly reached over $50,000. According to the report, the players believed the bottles of champagne and other high-end liquors sent to their table were complimentary. When the bill was presented to them, the players refused to pay it, believing it was not what they owed. An argument followed and it’s unclear if there were any punches thrown, but there clearly was a confrontation.

The Sun reported that the four players were detained by London police for about nine hours and were released after the bill was paid. Several other Jaguars players were reported to also be in attendance including starting linebackers Telvin Smith and Myles Jack and running back T.J. Yeldon but they were not detained by police.

Marrone didn’t offer many details when questioned about the incident after the Jaguars loss.

“Whatever happens and whatever goes on, I’m responsible for it,” Marrone said. “I’m not really going to go into all of the specific details. We’re still gathering information from it. But obviously, before we start going on the field and performing better, we’ve got to take a good look at what we’re doing all the other times, when we’re in the building, out of the building and all those things.”

The Jaguars flew back to Jacksonville immediately after the game. The Jaguars locker room will be open Monday afternoon and Marrone will talk with local media late in the day. It’s the only day that players and coaches are available next week as the Jaguars are off the rest of the week and have a bye next Sunday. They’ll return to action the following week to prepare for their next game at Indianapolis on Nov. 11.