Power Five (and Notre Dame) Coaching Power Ratings
Ranking all the power five (and Notre Dame) college football coaches from first-to-worst, using the following criteria:
- Power Five Head Coaching Overall Resume (1-10): Assessing what each head coach has done strictly as a power five head coach on a scale of 1-10.
- Non-Power Five Head Coaching Overall Resume (1-5): Assessing what each head coach as done as either a group of five head coach, power-five top assistant coach, or NFL head/assistant coach on a scale of 1-5.
- Current Coaching Trajectory (1-10): Assessing whether the needle for the next four years (a full recruiting cycle) is pointed up or down at this stage of each coach's career on a scale of 1-10.
- Big Game Bonus (1-3): Coaches known for producing in big games as a head coach at the Power Five level are given a bonus of 1-3 points.
- Hall of Fame Bonus (3 points): Coaches that are obviously destined for the College Football of Fame (for college coaching only), based on their accomplishments up until this point, were given 3 bonus points.
A total of 31 points is possible. Ties were broken first by higher score on current coaching trajectory and then by me if that didn't settle it. Coaching ratings factor into how I project each team's season to finish in my final game-by-game predictions for the preview, specifically when it comes to toss-up games.