EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State baseball's annual Green-White World Series was won by the Green team, two games to one, after they captured the series win with a 6-3 victory Sunday afternoon at McLane Stadium at Kobs Field.
The Green team was coached by assistant coach/pitching coach Mark VanAmeyde, snapping the three-year win streak of volunteer assistant coach Jordan Keur's guidance of the White team in the annual intrasquad exhibition series.
The teams traded 2-1 victories in the first two games of the series, with Green winning the opening game on Thursday on a walk-off, before White countered with a 2-1 win on Friday to level the series heading into the final and deciding game on Sunday, which Green won, 6-3.
The Green-White World Series is the last major event of fall practice for the Spartans, who do have one make-up practice on Monday before officially concluding practice for the fall.
"It was a good fall, we've got one more practice Monday for a make-up of a rained out practice, but it was a good for the young guys to get in and get their feet wet in college baseball and get up to the speed at the next level," MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. "It's a lot for a lot of guys and they all handled it really, really well. We have an outstanding freshmen class that we're very excited about, and the returning guys got a lot better. It was good to see everyone get better from the start of fall practice to the end."
How It Happened*
Game 1 - Thursday, Oct. 11
• Green won, 2-1.
• Evan Flohr got the win, 3 scoreless innings, 4 strikeouts, 1 walk, 2 hits.
• Mitchell Tyranski earned the save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning, with one strikeout.
• Green scoring plays: Marty Bechina singled in Reese Trahey, who had led off the 8th with a triple, Gabe Sotres scored winner in 9th on wild pitch.
• For the Green, Joe Stewart and Bechina had two hits each, Trahey tripled and scored.
• Mike Mokma went 3 innings, 1 run, 4 hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts.
• White scoring play: Bryce Kelley ground out to pitcher scored Nic Lacayo who had doubled and moved to third on sac bunt from Dan Chmielewski.
• White was led by Lacayo with 2 hits, both were doubles, while on the mound, Indigo Diaz started and went 4 1/3 scoreless innings, 4 hits, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.
Game 2 - Friday, Oct. 12
• White won, 2-1.
• Jesse Heikkinen earned the win with 3 2/3 innings, allowed 1 run, 2 Ks, 1 walk.
• Jarret Olson collected the save, pitched to one hitter with the tying run on first, got a groundout to end the game and secure the victory for White.
• White scoring plays: Lacayo sac fly to score Zaid Walker, who had reached on error, advanced to third on Royce Ando single, second run scored by Kelley who had reached on a single, got to second on ground out by Danny Gleaves, stole third and came home on a Zach Iverson double.
• For White, Ando had 2 hits and stole a base, Iverson doubled to score a run, while on the mound, Colten Panaranto threw 3 scoreless innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts.
• Green scored only run on Bechina home run to right.
• For Green, Erickson was 3-for-3, all singles, Trahey had a double. Jacob Seipenko threw 2 1/3 scoreless, 1 hit, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts, while Sam Benschoter tossed 2/3 scoreless innings.
Game 3 - Sunday, Oct. 14
• Green won, 6-3.
• Seipenko picked up the win with 3 scoreless innings, 0 hits, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts, 9 up and 9 down. Flohr had a scoreless inning, Benschoter 1 1/3 scoreless, William Christopherson 2/3 scoreless inning.
• Green scoring plays: Stewart sac fly to score Trahey who reached on walk, advanced on walk to Bechina and a WP to move both runners up, Andrew Morrow hit a 2-run home run scoring Bechina to take a 3-2 lead, Jacob Erickson hit a 2-run home run scoring Casey Mayes who had walked, for a 5-2 lead, final run scored by Bechina who had walked, Stewart tripled him in.
• For Green: 2 hits each for Erickson and Peter Ahn, Erickson with HR and 2 RBI, Morrow had a HR and 2 RBI, Stewart with a triple and 2 RBI.
• White scoring plays: Ando doubled in Iverson who had reached via a walk, advanced to second on single by Lacayo, Lacayo scored second run on ground out to ss by Bailey Peterson. Last run scored by Ando who had doubled with 1 out in 9th, scored on Chmielewski single with 2 outs.
• For White, Ando had 3 hits including 2 doubles, only player with multiple hits, RBI's for Chmielewski, Peterson and Ando.
• Diaz 2 2/3 scoreless innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts, Caleb Sleeman 1 1/3 scoreless with a K, Iverson 2/3 scoreless.
Want the latest breaking MSU news delivered straight to your email for FREE? Sign up for the DAILY Spartan Nation newsletterWHEN YOU CLICK RIGHT HERE!Don’t miss any of the latest up to the second updates on Michigan State Sports when you follow on Twitter @HondoCarpenter