A television station in Denver reported Monday night that the University of Colorado and head coach Mike MacIntyre will part ways after this season, but on Tuesday the athletic director said no decision has been made on MacIntyre’s future at the school.
Denver7, an ABC affiliate, reported that multiple sources informed the station that MacIntyre will be gone after this season. MacIntyre has a 30-43 record in his six seasons at Colorado. The Buffaloes are 5-5 this year, beginning the season 5-0 and earning a No. 19 ranking, but they have now lost five straight.
Colorado athletic director Rick George released a statement on Tuesday morning regarding the report.
“We do not comment on speculation or unsubstantiated rumors with anonymous sources. Let me just say I have made no decisions regarding the future of the football program,” George said in his statement. “As I’ve stated in the past, we continually evaluate all aspects of all of our 17 intercollegiate sport programs.”
That statement does not deny that MacIntyre will be fired after this season.
During a conference call on Tuesday, MacIntyre called the report “false news,” although he admitted he had not spoken to George in a few weeks.
MacIntyre was hired Dec. 10, 2012, and has three years and roughly $9,975,000 remaining on his contract after this season.
When hired, MacIntyre took over a program that was among the worst in the country, having gone 4-21 in two seasons under Jon Embree.
The Buffaloes broke through to win the Pac-12 South division title in 2016, finishing with a 10-4 record and a No. 17 Associated Press ranking.
The Buffaloes were routed by Washington 41-10 in the Pac-12 title game, and then by Oklahoma State 38-8 in the Valero Alamo Bowl.
Colorado went 5-7 last year and are in danger of failing to play in a postseason game for the second straight year despite the promising start to the season.